What Should You Do After Suffering a Job Site Injury? Insights from a Job Site Accident Attorney in Plant City, Florida

Construction sites are risky — high elevations, heavy industrial machinery, hazardous materials, and high-voltage electricity are just a few of the threats that construction workers face on a day-to-day basis. As such, it’s no surprise that construction workers have a higher fatal injury rate than those in any other industry. Every year, thousands of workers suffer injuries ranging from minor scrapes and bruises to catastrophic brain trauma and even death.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a job site accident in Plant City, Florida, you may be able to recover the costs of your medical care, lost income, pain and suffering, and more. An experienced job site accident attorney in Plant City, Florida can review your case and advise you on your options.

Here is what you should do after suffering an injury at a job site:

Seek Medical Care Right Away.

The first thing you should do after being injured at a job site is call 911 and seek immediate medical attention. You should have a doctor evaluate the severity of your injuries, no matter how minor you believe they are. Some injuries — such as head, neck, and spinal traumas — are not always noticeable at first.

A medical record that documents your injuries, medical care, treatments, and medications will also be helpful for your workers’ compensation claim, or if your case is ultimately taken to court.

Report the Accident

Many workers do not report their injuries because they are afraid of losing their job. Companies may also try to object to a report that highlights their inadequate safety standards. However, it is in your best interest to report the accident to your supervisor, or whoever is in charge. This ensures that you’ll have a record of the accident, and that any risky work practices are exposed, which may prevent future accidents. Your Plant City personal injury attorney may need to present the relevant reports in court.

Collect Contact Details

It’s important that you collect as much evidence concerning your accident as possible. Collecting contact information (name, address, and phone number) from anyone who witnessed the accident is part of this process. Witness testimony can be instrumental later in the investigation phase.

Photograph the Scene of the Accident

Try to take photos of the accident scene, or if possible, have your Plant City personal injury attorney take photos for you. If your accident was caused by unsafe working conditions, photograph the site and any equipment that was being used. Have someone photograph your injuries as well. Photographic evidence could be helpful in your case.

File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

Workers’ compensation (or workers’ comp) covers your medical bills and lost wages due to your job site injury. As a construction worker, you are entitled to workers’ compensation if:

  • Your employer carries workers’ compensation insurance.
  • You were injured on the job or because of your job duties.
  • Your injury is not the result of your misconduct or the use of drugs or alcohol.

You have one year from the date of your accident to file a workers’ compensation claim. If you’ve suffered a job site injury, it’s strongly recommended that you seek the counsel of a job site accident attorney in Plant City, Florida who can help you understand your rights as an employee and fight for the compensation you deserve.

Looking for a Job Site Accident Attorney in Plant City, Florida?

If you’ve been injured on a job site in Plant City, get in touch with the legal experts at O’Toole Law Group as soon as possible. As the top-rated job site accident lawyers in Plant City, Florida, we understand the nuances of work-related injuries and workers’ compensation laws in the State of Florida. Contact us today at (863) 533 5525 to schedule a free legal consultation.

O'Toole Law Group

Leave a Reply